Monday, July 28, 2008

GeorgeTown a UNESCO World Heritage Site Celebration

Had the opportunity to walk around inner George Town together with my dad on Saturday night for the celebration. There were a number of very nice Chinese Temples in inner George Town which I have never step foot in the vacinity before (how shameful). The temples were well restored and the paint work, vividly colored. Nice pictorial signboards were placed up at the temple grounds, explaining the historical origins of the temple and each architectural building or different parts of the building grounds.

Khoo Kongsi was beautifully lit up during the night time. Adding to the superb celebration atmosphere were cultural performances like chinese orchestras from secondary school students, operas, chinese puppets performances etc.

When we walked pass the old clock tower, the roundabout junction where the income tax office is, we saw a LOT of people waiting there. I was wondering what was going on. All of them were standing there waiting with their camera setup on tripod. Only them I recall that there will be fireworks display once the Penang Governor officially declares George Town as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This reminds me of our April Japan trip where a lot of the professional photographers were waiting patiently for the right time to snap nice shots of Sakura at Mt Minobu.
Of course I brought along my camera for photo taking session on this eventful day. Currently have yet to process them. Once done, they will be uploaded to smugmug. So stay tuned.

1 comment:

munytang said...

hey, thanks for leaving a comment on my first posting. I miss penang so much... Hopefully I'll be back soon for the food!