Thursday, September 18, 2008

Life Journey Part 1

Reading one of Nicolekiss's September blog entry made me reflected on myself, how I walked the path of life since I was born. Childhood remains pretty vague to me at the point of time as I can't remember much. All I remembered was that my dad used to take me and my siblings to the playground near my house during the evenings for swings, slides, and monkey climbs. I can't even remember if I ever played masak-masak. But those do not matter to me anymore.

I attended kindy at USM, which was all thought in English. I finished reading the collection of Peter & Jane books and pretty much liked recess time when we get to go out to the field to play. :)

Moving from kindy to primary school was a nightmare as I went from a fully English spoken background to a fully Mandarin speaking Chinese medium primary school! Both my parents are English educated and although they have minimal command of Mandarin, I wasn't really exposed to it before I entered primary years. Imagine poor me not understanding a single word of Mandarin and the rest weren't that good in English. Communication was a big issue to me. I felt left out and didn't like to go to school. I even begged my mum not to send me there. It ended up my grandma had to accompany me to school. I really felt bad that she had to go through this together with me. Grandma I love you! During night time, my mum will sit down together with me to complete the massive tons of homework. This was also how she managed to pick up basic Mandarin. Nevertheless, I was a problematic child during primary school days right up to Primary 6, results were pretty bad. I was more inclined towards outdoors and fell in love with badminton and started running. I remembered during Primary 6, I took part in the 100m event during sports day and came in 3rd. I was on cloud nine that time. That was the start of my Athletics career.

As my results weren't too impressive in the UPSR exam, I had to do an extra year in Remove. I remembered the first two weeks, I attended the afternoon school session. One day, I was called upon and offered to attend classes in the morning session instead. This is a special morning session class in Remove, Form 1, and Form 2 for athletes in all fields. My parents didn't really object of me taking up this offer as long as my results are up to the mark. We attended classes in the morning, twice weekly morning trainings and trainings were also carried out in the afternoon. This was also the year where I experienced a lot of hurtful back stabbing from one of my classmate. It was really a bitter pill to swallow. I take it that the person was jealous because I wasn't a school representative during primary school and just based on a 3rd place win, I was being offered a place in Sports Class.

to be continued...

1 comment:

George Yew said...

wah keng.. you speaking one loh. then can run and can hit badminton also.
scary, primary 6 already play for skool laio. me? i only play in the back road with the budak budak here nia.
damn. i got the feeling i m going to get trash on raya. god help me~~